Business to customer marketing, which is also commonly known as B2C marketing, is a set of strategies, practices, and tactics that a company uses to push its products or services to customers. B2C campaigns don’t just focus on the benefit or value that a product offers, but also on invoking an emotional response from the customer.
- Why B2C marketing is important
- B2C Marketing vs B2B Marketing
- B2C Marketing Channels
- B2C marketing tools
- How to start B2C marketing in SendPulse
- B2C marketing automation
- B2C marketing examples
- B2C marketing tips and best practices
B2C marketing works on the basis that customers look for goods or services to meet an immediate need. Therefore, they tend to buy without doing much research on the product or service, and within a few minutes or days from the moment they first viewed it. For a successful B2C campaign, a business owner should understand their customers’ buying habits, trends in the market, and what strategies the competitors use.
B2C promotions should be clear, easy for consumers to understand, and focused on the precise problem that the product or service solves. With this information and the right tools, it is easy to create a campaign that triggers the right reactions from customers and as a result, drives sales.
Why B2C marketing is important
B2C marketing is vital for all businesses that sell consumer-based products or services. These include restaurants, drug stores, car companies, fashion businesses, software companies, grocery stores and so forth. Today, however, the internet has become the most preferred channel for B2C brands to promote their goods or services and also do research on consumer trends and behaviors. Almost every B2C company wants to get a share of the $2.3 trillion e-commerce industry and is shifting its marketing outreach online.
B2C e-commerce sales in 2013 stood at 1.5 billion dollars with forecasts showing steady growth to 2.35 billion in 2018. These figures show that B2C marketing is worth the investment for higher ROI and business growth. B2C marketing is beneficial in the following ways:
- boosts website visits: B2C campaigns are created to be enticing with the aim of wooing the prospective customer to visit the brand’s website and learn more.
- helps brands to grow subscribers’ list: when the number of leads that visit a business’ website increases, the number of new subscribers also goes up.
- offers more refined interactions with customers: with knowledge about the target customers, B2C companies can send more specific messages at strategic times. Here segmentation proves useful.
- gives businesses better rankings on search engines: by using targeted keywords, a website can increase its position on search results. As a result, there are more chances for users to find YOUR company.
- increases conversion and brand awareness: B2C marketing strategies enable businesses to reach and connect with large audiences through bulk emailing, social media outreach and other channels. As a result, a brand becomes popular, and conversion rates increase.
B2C Marketing vs B2B Marketing
B2C and B2B marketing differ significantly; therefore, understanding these differences can make a brand’s marketing campaigns more relevant and successful. The following is a comprehensive comparison of the two:
|B2C Marketing||B2B Marketing|
|Sells to the final customer directly.||Targets a company or business.|
|Customers are impulsive and want to see all the information about the product at once. They will rarely do more research to understand the product.||Customers are likely to do more research before purchasing and compare the product with competing options.|
|Targets the emotional drive associated with purchasing a product.||Focuses on the features and value of a product.|
|Works around benefits and desires.||Is more about the characteristics and logic.|
|The goal of customers is personal improvement.||The aim of the target customers is to power their business.|
|Makes small-scale sales for personal use. There is a low-volume sales spread across many consumers.||Sales are large-scale. The customers are few, but the purchasing volume is large.|
|Consumers make purchases instantly after seeing the product ad or within a very short time. They look for immediate results.||Customers typically go through a much longer buying process. They want to fulfill long-term goals.|
B2C Marketing Channels
B2C marketing has been in existence for the longest time and relies on various communication channels to reach the final customer. Just like other types of marketing, growth in technology has also increased the number of marketing channels in B2C.
The most important channels for B2C marketers include the following.
Email marketing is a popular and effective way for consumer brands looking to increase sales to reach the target audience. It primarily involves sending out email blasts or personalized promotional emails to new leads or loyal customers. Email marketing, however, is only effective if it is relevant to the recipients.
It is estimated that over half of all internet shoppers buy things from their mobile devices. Therefore, successful B2C companies should work on reaching mobile users through interactive and mobile-optimized promotions. Mobile marketing aims to reach mobile users through websites, apps, SMS, MMS, and even social media.
Web push marketing
Push notifications are a way of delivering messages about sales, discounts, or offers to customers in real-time when they visit a website. Push notifications usually pop up on users’ computer or mobile screens and help elicit an immediate response from the viewer.
Social media marketing
Social media marketing is the use of social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to promote goods or services directly to customers. It entails creating and sharing marketing content on social media platforms. Usually, B2C businesses that use social media as a channel to market their brands target potential customers, loyal clients, and the general public.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a natural or organic marketing process of increasing the visibility of a site or webpage on a search engine’s non-paid results. Good SEO practices and tools help businesses drive more traffic to their websites and consequently increase sales.
Paid Search Advertising
This form of marketing is a type of pay-per-click advertising where brands pay for their digital advertisements to appear on the results page of a search engine like Google or Yahoo. The placement and frequency of these ads depend on one’s quality score and bid.
B2C marketing tools
B2C marketers, sales executives, and business owners can benefit from marketing tools offered by services such as SendPulse. Here are the most prominent ones.
Email marketing tools in SendPulse can be used to build and segment mailing lists, create and send personalized email campaigns, automate email send outs, analyze subscriber activity, and monitor results. This channel allows marketers to onboard new prospects and move them down the sales funnel.
SMS marketing tools enable brands to reach prospects and loyal customers on their mobile devices. With SendPulse, brands can send bulk promotional or non-commercial SMS to 800 mobile networks in more than 190 countries worldwide. One can schedule SMS sending to a specific date and time or choose gradual sending during certain times. You can perform B2C marketing with SendPulse at speeds of up to 500 SMS a second.
Web push marketing
SendPulse helps brands send browser push notifications about sales, interesting updates, new content and products that get the attention of visitors and drive traffic back to websites. They are easy to set up and work on most browsers including Chrome, Opera and Firefox.
Facebook messenger marketing
One can create and deliver personalized marketing content to Facebook users through developing Facebook Messenger Chatbots with SendPulse. The handy builder does not require any coding skills to use.
How to start B2C marketing in SendPulse
Consumer-based companies can achieve B2C marketing success with SendPulse for free. Follow these steps to create and send B2C campaigns.
- Register in SendPulse. Sign up on the website and start using marketing tools to reach and connect with prospects for free.
- Choose the optimal channel or mix them. Choose a suitable channel for the new campaign. It can be email, SMS, web push or Facebook. SendPulse also lets you combine multiple channels in one campaign for better outreach.
- Upload a mailing list or grow it. You can add a mailing list if you have one already or create a new list of contacts. With the help of a subscription form or a script for push notifications — which you can make and segment in SendPulse — brands can grow their mailing list without much effort.
- Send your marketing campaign. Create the content for your campaign, add the list of recipients, and send it. Alternatively, schedule a date and specific time for automatic sending.
- Monitor results and improve strategy. With SendPulse reports, track how the campaign performs. Analyze delivered emails, opens, clicks, delivery errors, unsubscribes, spam complaints and improve the marketing strategy.
B2C marketing automation
Marketing Automation is important, especially for B2C companies as it simplifies and optimizes most marketing tasks. With SendPulse Automation 360, you can automate marketing campaigns across multiple channels. This automation tool lets you send triggered messages after customers perform actions such as making a purchase, registering on the website, abandoning products in their carts, or any other event you specify.
To get started with Automation 360:
- Sign up. Add an event to be tracked, such as a «Add subsrciber» when a visitor joins your mailing list.
- Create an email, SMS, or web push message to send when the event is triggered.
- Start the automation flow.
- Track conversions.
B2C marketing examples
Look below how Habitat tempts customers to buy the products on reduced prices.
Check out another example of B2C tactic to increase sales. Skiphop offers a free shipping day for all the orders.
Look how True Citrus takes advantage of St. Valentine’s Day. They offer generous time-limited sales to push the clients.
B2C marketing tips and best practices
- Be ethical in collecting recipient addresses to avoid being blacklisted. A permission-based marketing approach is the choice of a good marketer.
- Categorize your leads and keep detailed buyer profiles.
- Create catchy headlines on landing pages to pull the potential buyer in.
- Create personalized, interactive, and engaging content to attract and enhance the customer experience with the help of segmentation.
- Optimize marketing messages and web pages for mobile.
Start B2C marketing, grow brand awareness and increase sales with the help of SendPulse today.
Also searched with "B2C marketing"
Published: 2017-05-05 Last Updated: 2019-02-14