AMP email is a technology which allows email marketers to embed the interactive elements like carousels, accordions, confirmation, purchase buttons, etc., into the emails without opening a new tab to visit a website.
Why is AMP email important
- Widens the opportunities for email usage. AMP emails provide email subscribers with more web-page-like experience. In other words, email marketers can implement interactive functions that have only been available on webpages — carousels, forms, confirmations, accordions, event invitations, replying to a comment, etc., directly into the email inbox.
- Revitalizes email technology. The old technology that started looking a bit outdated has been refreshed to modern time demands. Email marketing is one of the most effective marketing channels ever. People use it globally since the early 2000s, and not much has changed after that. AMP email intends to refresh static emails with more dynamic web-page-like content.
- Offers a new level of personalization. With AMP email, marketers can receive and send back more data than ever. Such feature allows brands to personalize emails even deeper. Besides, as AMP emails are dynamic, the content can update within the email (like weather reports, prices, webinar dates), so subscribers will always receive highly personalized content on demand without even leaving their email client.
- Low competition. AMP email technology is red hot, and it will take some time until many marketers will use it. You can jump ahead of your rivals if you have a clear idea of how to interact with the users with AMP elements in emails
How is AMP email different from usual HTML email
The supported AMP components are: amp-carousel, amp-image-lightbox, amp-accordion, amp-bind, amp-form, amp-fit-text, amp-timago, amp-anim, amp-img, amp-selector, amp-list, amp-sidebar, and amp-state.
AMP email best practices
- Choose optimal dimensions. Best width of AMP email is 800px or less because any wider email can curtail the content for some users. The height is not limited, because the users can scroll through the content.
- Make it reflect the website. Many people choose email as the most convenient channel for communication with brands. In some way, AMP email is the extension of your site. Make sure that AMP email elements visually correspond with those on your website, so the subscribers could take action directly in the inbox, without leaving it.
- Don’t overwhelm subscribers. Implement AMP components bit by bit. Try to use one or two elements for tests. Experiment with AMP elements combinations, which will support your content in the best way.
AMP email examples
Pinterest. AMP emails allow you to save pins directly in their inbox. You can also open pins to get more detailed information and a bigger image, than move back.
Doodle. It is a website for creating poles and set dates for meetings. With AMP email technology, you can manage poles as well as take part. You can choose the best time right in the email without opening a new tab.
Booking.com. You can manage your email preferences in the footer of the email.