When sending an email, you should take into account two mailing servers: yours and the recipients.
As you can see, your email can be rejected either by your mail server, as a sender’s, or your recipient’s server.
Reasons for a 554 5 7 1 SMTP Error
- Your sender IP may be blacklisted by spam filters due to spam-like content. You can use special resources to find out whether you’re on a blacklist or not;
- You could be on the personal blacklist of a recipient, as a source of spam, because of different reasons and it’s complicated to get to know them;
- Before sending an email, if you haven’t properly authenticated your mail server for the recipient’s mail server to know that you are a reliable source, not a spammer.
- You may have failed security checks. Perhaps, a recipient has their own anti-spam policy, and you haven’t managed to follow it.
How to Avoid a 554 5 7 1 SMTP Error
- Make sure that “From” and “Recipient addresses are correct”;
- Install special software to check for spam and be sure that there are no viruses;
- Check the server authentication configurations, especially if it was updated. You may have to change settings manually;
- Follow the anti-spam policy of your mail server;
- Recipients may have their own anti-spam rules, and you may discuss with them one of them to be disabled;
- If you send a large number of emails, use a third-party — SMTP service since it will free you from the restrictions on the number of emails sent and increase the delivery speed.
To be sure that you’re not blacklisted, use these tools:
- MX Toolbox blacklist check
- DNSBL blacklist check
In case you were mistakenly added to a blacklist, you can get help with a removal form.
The Most Common 554 5 7 1 messages
- 554 5.7.1: Client host rejected: Access denied
- 554 5.7.1: Service unavailable; Client host X.X.X.X blocked using zen.spamhaus.org
- 554 5.7.1: Relay access denied
- 554 5.7.1: Recipient address rejected: Access denied
- 554 5.7.1: Message cannot be accepted, rules rejection
- 554 5.7.1: Message refused by Dictionary check
- 554 5.7.1: Relay Access Denied for One Domain
- 554 5.7.1: Message cannot be received, spam rejection
- 554 5.7.1: Message refused by DNSBL check
- 554 5.7.1: Sender address rejected: Access denied
Last Updated: 2020-01-30