Opt-in is an inbound marketing approach whereby a marketer solicits a potential customer’s permission to send them promotional and other types of content about a brand. It is also known as permission marketing and can be single opt-in or double opt-in.
Sending several unsolicited messages to a prospect’s email can hurt a sender reputation and image. But unlike outbound marketing strategies where marketers advertise to the market as a whole, opt-in is a more targeted, effective, and ethical approach. In opt-in marketing, prospects give permission to receive a company’s content. This content can contain advertising, newsletters, offers, and so forth.
Why is email opt-in important
In the eyes of the potential customer, there are a lot of things that can count as spam. These may be emails they do not want, emails they do not expect in their inbox, and anything they subscribed for but later decided to opt out.Therefore, e-commerce owners need to up their marketing game to avoid being blacklisted. The good news is that opt-in can benefit a business’s marketing in several ways.
- Builds a mailing list fast. Opt-in, specifically single opt-in, helps marketers to create big mailing lists really fast. Single opt-in is a one-step process, and prospects can register even from third-party websites.
- Helps tailor promotional content to the subscriber’s interests. When prospects opt-in for a company’s emails, the marketer is in a better position to predict the type of content that would appeal to each subscriber.
- Increases open rate. Most promotional emails end up in the trash before they are even opened. But with opt-in, a brand can enjoy high open rates of sent emails.
- Makes it simple to follow up on a buyer. Marketers can follow up on customers who have made purchases to either up-sell or cross-sell to them. On that note, SendPulse has a convenient feature know as Automation 360 that allows online business people to automatically send welcome emails, thank you emails, offer discounts on future purchases or ask for feedback after a customer makes a purchase.
Using subscription forms in an opt-in marketing approach
A signup form is the best way to encourage a prospective client to opt in for email marketing messages. This form typically prompts a site’s visitor to enter their emails addresses to receive marketing newsletters. Subscription forms can be placed on any page of a website and can have different designs. To create a subscription form that prompts many visitors to subscribe, register at SendPulse.
How to set up subscription forms in SendPulse
- Embedded form
- Floating form
- Pop-up window
- Fixed form
To get started on creating a subscription form using SendPulse, one should:
- Go to subscription forms. On the SendPulse homepage, click on products then subscription forms. On the subscription forms page, click on “create custom subscription form” to build subscription forms for a website.
- Select “Form Builder” or Form Templates. Pick a template form and edit it or create a whole new form using SendPulse form builder with a wide choice of layouts, colors, images, and fonts.
- Add a mailing list or create one. One can add an existing mailing list that SendPulse will update with new subscribers, or create a new list. Plus, it is also possible to add several lists at one time.
- Choose elements to add to the form. There are many elements one can add to the form using the form builder. They include an input box, checkbox, radio buttons, drop-down list, text, images, and spacer.
- Set up design parameters. Depending on preference, SendPulse allows users to specify other parameters such as width, background, borders, shift, and round corners.
- Apply Changes, save and get the code. Once everything is set up, one can now click on “Apply Changes” followed by “Save and Get Code.”
Double opt-in marketing technique
Double opt-in is when a user signs up for email marketing messages, and an automatic email with a link is sent to the subscriber to confirm the subscription. This email typically requires the user to click on the link and confirm that they are the owner of the email and that they accepted to join the mailing list.
What are the benefits of double opt-in
- A better quality mailing list. Double opt-in helps marketers gain high-quality addresses. Plus, there is a smaller risk of retaining inactive and non-existent addresses on a mailing list.
- Gives opportunity for immediate interaction. Online marketers can communicate with subscribers through the confirmation email to talk more about the brand or provide product/service offers.
- Low unsubscribe rate. In double opt-in, a smaller number of prospects are likely to unsubscribe from a brand’s marketing emails than in single opt-in since these users expressed their wish to receive emails from you twice.
- Better click-through rate and conversion. Online businesses that utilize this approach record higher open rates, click-through rates and ROI.
Confirmation emails in double opt-in marketing
A confirmation email is the most effective way of carrying out double opt-in. It involves sending a triggered email to a visitor who subscribes to marketing emails through a subscription form. The email confirms that a customer has subscribed to a brand’s marketing content. By using SendPulse, an online marketer or business owner can create and send subscribers automatic confirmation emails with ease.
How to set up confirmation email in SendPulse
SendPulse is an easy-to-use email service that allows users to create subscriptions forms for websites, confirmation emails, thank you pages for double opt-in, and a host of other things.
For double opt-in confirmation or thank you email, you should do the following.
- Create a subscription form using SendPulse Form Builder. Using a template or form builder, one can create a signup form to get new subscribers.
- Make a notification about a subscription. In the form options, enter a subscription notification title.
- Fill in text for the confirmation email. Add a corporate/registered domain address in the “From address” section. One can then edit the email text by inserting code or using HTML editor.
- Enter URL for the Confirmation Page. The last step of creating a confirmation email using SendPulse is choosing a page where the subscriber will be redirected to after clicking the confirmation link.
Also searched with "Opt-in"
Try SendPulse today for free
If you are interested in "Opt-in" you might be interested in our bulk email service.Sign Up