Promotion mix is a set of different marketing approaches which marketers develop to optimize promotional efforts and reach a broader audience. Marketer’s task is to find the right promotion mix for a particular brand.
Developing a promotion mix requires skills and experience in marketing. Marketers should make various studies and gather lots of data about a particular company to come up with an effective promotion mix.
For instance, it is necessary to identify the target audience, work out a budget that the company can spend on promotion, and decide upon the most efficient marketing channels for its audience.
Promotion mix is a more expanded approach towards one of five elements of the marketing mix — Promotion. Other factors are People, Product, Place, and Price.
Why is a promotion mix important
- Improves the effectiveness of promotion campaigns. Promotion is a crucial part of any business, so companies develop a promotion mix, putting all efforts to make promotions at the right place, at the right time, and in front of the right audience. It helps to get the most out of their marketing resources by optimizing budget and saving time.
- Helps to segment the audience. To develop a compelling promotion mix, a company needs to identify its target audience. Potential subscribers may include various groups of people who have something in common, for example, age, gender, preferences, etc., and they all need an individual approach. Promotion mix is the key method to deliver a relevant promotion message via the most comfortable channel to each segment.
- Improves communication with the clients. Companies develop promotion mix trying to speak their consumers’ language. If prepared right, it helps to build trustful relationships between the brand and its customers. It is a crucial factor in lead nurturing and customer retention. For example, automated email campaigns help to achieve these goals by responding to people’s actions instantly.
- Informs well. Some promotions, on Instagram for example, aim to show the product from the best angle, and others, like SMS, emphasize the advantages of the local services. Using the promotion mix companies define the best ways to educate people about the products and services they trade.
- Helps to stand out from the crowd. People are bombarded with all sorts of advertising at every turn. With the promotion mix, it is possible to stand out from the crowd without creating chaos in your customers’ heads. Successful companies make quality prevail over quantity, promoting at the right place and at the right time.
Components of a promotion mix
- Advertising. It is a non-personal promotion of products and services. Marketers use advertising as a vital tool for increasing brand awareness. Advertisers show the promotions to masses of people using email, webpages, banner ads, television, radio, etc.
- Direct selling. It is a one-to-one communication between a sales representative and a potential customer. Direct selling influences people to decide to buy certain products or services. It is one of the most effective ways of promoting because the sales rep tailors the promotion precisely to those people who will most likely buy it. On the other hand, it is the most expensive form of sales because companies pay for one person’s time.
- Sales promotion. It is a set of short-term activities which are designed to encourage immediate purchase. Sales promotion is a campaign which uses time-sensitive offers — sales, discounts, coupons, etc., to engage existing consumers and bring in the larger audience. Many companies make this a core component of their marketing efforts, though sometimes it’s the most annoying way of communication for people.
- Public relations. This type of promotional method determines the way people treat the brand. Companies using PR try to build a firm and attractive brand image by planting interesting news story about their activities in the media. Public relations are not fully controlled by the company, though, as some reviews and webpages may negatively highlight the brand. If the company adequately solves such issues, people will reward it with positive word-of-mouth consideration.
How to use SendPulse for promotion
You can cover some of the promotion mix components with SendPulse. Let’s find out which marketing channels you can implement in your promotion mix.
- Email. This marketing channel allows you to send promotional emails, newsletters, trigger emails, follow-ups, and more. Avoid monotonous promotions because users’ inboxes are often overwhelmed with sales emails. Send email campaigns which provide value to the customers, not only put your product in front.
- SMS. Send time-sensitive offers to your audience to impulse quick sales. Try to implement an SMS campaign in your promotion mix because it has huge open rates.
- Web push notifications. Follow up the success of your email marketing or drive visitors back to your website with this technology. Send web push notifications to inform about new products, discounts, news, and updates.
- Facebook Messenger chatbot. This channel allows businesses to make up conversations with people directly in their messages. Try out Facebook Messenger chatbot to provide value and engage personal selling.
Promotion mix best practices and tips
- Identify the target audience. Determine your target audience and get the advantage of the promotion mix tactics. Create your customer profile to find out how to provide people with the products they need.
- Follow a five P’s rule. Five factors form promotional marketing success: what you sell (Product), how much you want for it (Price), how you offer it (Promotion), where you sell it (Place), and whom you sell it to (People). Work on these five P’s of marketing and give your customers what they need at the most convenient time.
- Provide people with useful information. Demonstrate the products and services you sell. Explain what makes them so unique and why customers should choose yours and no one else’s products. Create reviews comparing your product with competitors’ one.
- Use appropriate marketing channels. Find out which ways of communication are the most convenient for your audience. Try delivering the same message through different channels and examine which one performs better with your customers.
- Rely on the accordant promotion mix elements. Personal selling is merely useful for small business due to its high cost and little outreach. Every business can afford display advertising and email marketing, though. Develop a balanced system of communication with your audience which fits your business well.
- Implement segmentation. This tool targets the audience by dividing it into smaller groups based on similarities. In SendPulse, segmentation runs with emails, SMS, and web push notifications.
- Monitor marketing trends. As internet marketing evolves, new channels for communication with the customers appear. Follow marketing trends to be able to reach your customers the way they like it.
Promotion mix examples
Let’s take Nike’s promotion mix as an example and learn how they use each of the promotion mix components.
- Advertising. In advertising campaigns, Nike aims to reach large target audiences. The brand invites celebrities who represent the image of an ideal consumer. Potential customers associate themselves with famous ones, and it motivates them to trust the brand and communicate with it.
- Personal selling. Nike’s personal selling takes place in their stores. Trained store personnel assists consumers — provides with details on the company’s products and stimulates visitors to buy. Besides, Nike’s employees help customers to find the right Nike product and promote the company through personalized services.
- Sales promotion. Usually, Nike’s sales promotions are special discounts for the targeted audience. The brand motivates their customers with savings they make when buying discounted products. After that, they create a demand for purchasing more products using those bonuses, turning new customers into loyal clients.
- Public relations. Nike developed a social responsibility strategy, in response to global ecological trends. Besides, Nike sponsors numerous sports events which build a better brand image in the eyes of their audience.
- Direct marketing. Nike uses direct marketing to promote its products among sports organizations in universities, colleges, schools. Marketers call it lead nurturing.