Direct sales — the sales type which implies direct contact with a buyer without any third parties. It is an effective way to increase revenue. After the registration in SendPulse, you can get additional income via email and web push channel absolutely for free. Discover more.
The video defines the term "direct sales", highlights the way it functions, provides this business model characteristics, and sheds light on direct sales companies.
Direct sales companies
- Mary Key
Advantages of direct sales
- individual contact
- personalized approach to every client
- visible client's reaction
- anticipation of the result
- detailed product demonstration
- higher income
Disadvantages of direct sales
- expensive way to start
- difficult to reach a wide audience
Direct sales mean product presentation. A client should make up the concept both about the product and seller personality. Subsequently, the client decides whether they need your proposal or not.
Then it's up to you: present the proposal, arouse interest, treat a potential client with respect. They should receive all the necessary information about the product or service. If a client doesn't know something, the doubts may not let them purchase.
The core of direct sales
- Direct sales mean high quality of the goods by default. Apparently, if you come to sell low-quality goods, then, nobody will buy them, but even if somebody does, they won't come back to you.
- Direct sales are regulated legally because a consumer has the same rights as the buyer in the supermarket, and a seller has exactly the same obligations as the assistant who has own sales area or retail outlet.
- It is convenient for the clients as they don't have to go anywhere — they will be brought everything. If you are short of time but interested in the offer, most sellers will certainly ask if you have time later and make an appointment. This is a purchase for the lazy.
- There is a danger that the markup will be higher than in the retail network. In this situation, you need to understand that you pay the seller extra money for the physical resources spent on the visit to you.
The process of direct sales is illustrated below.
How to do direct sales
Set your goals
Like in any other business, goals are essential. There are many reasons why one should set them: goals are motivators; you will surely have a team of reps and they should be acquainted with the goals to move in the right direction; they will make you go on when your business seems to fail. Be sure, that you've set realistic goals, don't be too demanding. While making a list of them, remember that direct sales are not the easiest and the best variant to make bank in a short period of time. You should make much efforts to succeed.
Determine your target audience
Who are your clients? Is it relevant to take up business in your city? What do they need?
Answer these 3 questions to get a better idea of your potential clients. Determine what you want to sell, who needs this product and whether it is relevant to do in your location. Make a research to find out how many sellers in your city sell the same product as you want. Thus, you'll discover if there are a demand and competition. If competition is high, think twice whether the game is worth the candle.
If you're a beginner, visit trainings and courses, communicate with professional mentors, read more about successful practices. You need to have a good knowledge base to become a professional seller.
Manage your time
Many people are eager to start their own business in direct sales as they don't want to work for someone, to have a usual 9-5 working day and only 2 days of weekends. Very often, they start as they wish — at 10-11 am because they are bosses. Don't make such a mistake! Plan your day, make a list of the most important activities and set the time, thus you'll control yourself and your team.
Increase your network
Sales are about communication and establishing relationships with people. Visit conferences, seminars, business meetings, and other events to get new acquaintances. You'll get a good chance not only to learn by the experience of other professionals but to make people know you and your product. At such meetings, you're very likely to acquire new leads.
Keep your enthusiasm alive
Certainly, there will be days when you will be at the point of getting out of your business, because of problems, failures, difficulties. Never give up! It's just another useful experience. Remind yourself the goals and go on.
Direct sales and email marketing
Ecommerce brands do direct sales via email marketing. This is a popular method to grow both the mailing list and sales. Carters, Ralph Lauren, Bonobos, Banana Republic, OshKosh tempt their site visitors with a discount for the first order or a free shipping. The only thing a user should do is to leave their email address. Then, they receive a welcome email with a discount and make an order. In this case, direct sales are performed via an email campaign.
How to do direct sales in SendPulse
Firstly, create a subscription form, with the help of which you will enlarge your audience.
SendPulse offers a wide choice of free ready-made subscription forms of any types. Or, you can create your own unique form with the brand design.
Place it on your website and specify the mailing list where all the email addresses collected will be added. Then, send an email campaign to your new leads.
If you just start and have less than 2,500 subscribers — enjoy our free pricing plan. Send 15,000 emails monthly at no cost. You are welcome to use professional instruments: personalization, segmentation, A/B testing, resend to unreads, and many more.
- The article "How to Be Successful Selling Products from Home" on The Balance Careers explains the way direct selling works, how to choose a product to sell and deal with costs, and provides tips on how to create a direct sales business plan.
- The article "What is Direct Selling and Is it a Good Home Business Option?" on The Balance Small Business defines direct selling, characterizes its types, and answers the common questions regarding this business model.
- The article "Direct Sales in the Age of Social Media: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugh" on The Simple Dollar considers the reasons why people start direct selling, how much money they make, and explains how to overcome the direct selling stigma.
- The article "Can You Really Make Money In Direct Sales?" on Forbes explains what direct selling offers, gives insights into the ways to spot the phonies, and provides tips for prospective direct sellers.
Last Updated: 2019-08-23