A bulk email list is a record of recipients’ email addresses, to whom a business sends a marketing campaign. Usually, this email inventory consists of addresses of customers who have shown interest in or have an existing relationship with a particular brand.
Types of Bulk Email Lists
Regular bulk email lists
A regular bulk email list is an inventory of recipients’ email addresses that are not refined in any way. When a marketer uses this list, they send out the email with the same offers to the entire mailing list. This approach is no longer an email marketing best practice as it increases the chances of a message to be ignored, deleted, or even classified as spam.
Targeted bulk email lists
A targeted email list is one that focuses on the specific needs, likes, and also dislikes of each existing and prospective customer. This type of bulk email list allows marketers to create more customized and personalized marketing campaigns. It enables businesses to interact with people who require their products or services and those that share similar interests.
By developing a targeted list, a business will always have loyal customers. For example, if a company deals with books, a marketer can segment their mailing list into customers that prefer particular genres of books, most valued buyers, age-groups, and so forth. Aside from that, the marketer can sort a list by the purchases a specific customer makes. Thus, one could come up with a category of buyers who make purchases between $200 and $500, or above $500.
With a targeted bulk email list, a marketer can also pay particular attention to building robust and long-lasting relationships with customers. One can employ different communication styles when reaching out to different classes of customers and prospects. A marketer can send out information in a manner that appeals to them. For example, if a company sells computers, the marketer can create different messages for customers who are students and those that are entrepreneurs. In the email addressed to students, the marketer can describe their computers as the best for sharing music, photos, and staying in touch with friends around-the-clock. On the other hand, the email to business people can market computers as an ideal tool for accessing essential business-related information.
With segmented bulk email lists, a business is on the right way to understand its audience and boost ROI.
There should be one crucial addition: buying an email list to send unsolicited emails is considered illegal, even though some companies and people do that to this day.
Bulk Email List Strategies
- Never buy mailing lists
- Design eye-grabbing subscription forms
- Create appealing lead-magnets
- Segment your bulk email list
- Regularly check your mailing list
Below are some useful practices to implement when it comes to handling bulk email lists:
Never buy mailing lists
It is not wise for a marketer to procure a mailing list in this way for several reasons:
- Contacts are not interested in newsletters they didn’t subscribe to.
- Discerning the honesty of the lists is challenging.
- Emails from your brand may be considered spam.
- When too many emails from a brand are classified as spam, the ISP may take action against the business.
- There is a high chance that other businesses are using a similar list.
- Poor response rates.
Design eye-grabbing subscription forms
Marketers ought to design appealing subscription forms that quickly capture the information of their targeted customers. It’s recommended to ask for an email address and name not to make the subscription process irritating for a user. With SendPulse, you can choose a pre-designed subscription form or create your own to match the brand's style.
Create appealing lead-magnets
A lead-magnet is a powerful marketing tool that helps grow a mailing list. Marketers offer valuable content in exchange for contact information. It’s essential to understand what your target audience is interested in. Lead-magnets are often represented as an ebook, a checklist, a guide, etc. Looking for fresh ideas? Watch our video!
Segment your bulk email list
Segmentation is all about delivering highly-targeted and relevant content. This is achieved by dividing a mailing list into segments based on different criteria. For example, with SendPulse, you can segment your audience by gender, occupation, location, age, their activities on your website, or even use ready-made segments.
Regularly check your mailing list
Don’t be afraid to remove inactive subscribers! A marketer needs to update the mailing list frequently to ensure that the business interacts only with people who are genuinely interested in its services or products.
Bulk Email List Examples
Here is an example of a general bulk email list in SendPulse.
Here is the same list segmented by gender and country.
Bulk Email List Best Practices
Here are some effective bulk email list management best practices:
- Implement double opt-in to ascertain that the readers are indeed willing to receive marketing emails, and also ensure that there are no misspelled addresses on the list.
- Find creative ways to convince readers to subscribe. Create an appealing lead-magnet.
- Give subscribers a chance to set both content and email sending frequency preferences.
- Work on creating tailored content for different mailing list segments. For example, if you’re in eCommerce, send various offers for men and women.
- Re-engage inactive subscribers. Don’t disregard those who seem to be less interested in your brand. Try to discover the reasons and be ready to offer highly relevant goods.
Register in SendPulse and create segmented mailing lists in no time!
Last Updated: 2020-02-05