A push notification is an instant message that is "pushed" by an app in response to a certain event or process that is taking place in the app ("you have a new friend request," "file finished downloading," etc.). Recently the world saw the rise of web (browser) push notifications. Web notifications serve the same role, but instead of an app, push notifications are sent by a website.
SendPulse allows you to send web push notifications free of charge if your database is fewer than 10,000 subscribers. Watch this video to learn how to send push campaigns with SendPulse.
What is a web push notification?
Web push notifications are a powerful marketing tool. Push notifications are extremely popular among e-commerce businesses. They send web push notifications from websites to users who have permitted to receive them. Marketing agencies and push services provide companies with professional instruments that help boost engagement and rocket sales. With SendPulse, you can either send push campaigns or combine them with email and SMS for better performance.
Why use push notifications?
- High click-through rate
- Offline notifications
- All popular browsers support them
- Spam-free messages
- Increase engagement, loyalty, and sales
- Free notifications at SendPulse
- High click-through rate. Web push campaigns' high CTR is due to their visibility. Notifications grab users' attention to whatever site they are viewing.
- Offline notifications. Even if subscribers were offline when you sent your push campaign, they will the next time they come online.
- All popular browsers support them. Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and even smartphones support receiving these instant messages.
- Spam-free messages. Push notifications exclude sending spam since users don’t have to give any personal information. Right after subscribing, a specific ID is created for each user who agrees to receive push notifications.
- Increase engagement, loyalty, and sales. Use push notifications to inform your clients about their order status, notify subscribers about the fresh content on a blog, recent updates, and time-limited sales.
- You can send web push notifications in SendPulse for free if your database is less than 10,000 subscribers.
Check out the list of useful push notifications' features: «The features of web push notifications you have never heard about ».
How do push notifications work?
All you need is to add a script generated by a push service to your site. With SendPulse, you’ll get one line of code to be inserted.
When a user visits your site for the first time, they will see a subscription request. If they accept the invitation — congrats, from here on, they will receive your push campaigns. If they block your request, it will never appear again.
How to send push notifications for free with SendPulse?
Creating push notifications with SendPulse takes five steps and doesn't require any special skills. Just follow these steps.
Step 1. Register with SendPulse
If you still don't have an account in SendPulse, register.
Step 2. Add your site to send push campaigns
Before creating a web push notification, you need to add your site to SendPulse.
Navigate to the "Push" tab and click "Add New Website."
Then, choose a site protocol and enter the link. Upload a website image and choose subscription request conditions.
Follow this step-by-step guide: «How to Add a Site to Send Push Notifications ».
Step 3. Add the generated script to your site
Add the code to the site before the closing tag
Step 4. Create a web push campaign
Navigate to the "Push" tab and click "Send PUSH."
Choose the recipients of the necessary sites, customize the notification appearance, and specify the sending time. Write the title and text of the message.
To boost conversions, personalize and segment push notifications according to browser language, region, browser type, subscription page. Add a large image to your campaign to attract the attention of more users. Schedule push notifications to be sent to automate your workflow.
Follow the instructions in this guide: «How to Create and Send a Push Campaign».
How to Disable Push Notifications
Irrelevant push notifications, accompanied by an alert, may distract and annoy users, so they want to disable them. It can’t be done on the website that sends you notifications. To stop notifications, go to the settings of your browser, and manage exceptions. Find out how to disable push notifications in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox in our step-by-step guides.
Web Push Notifications API
Want to send push notifications automatically to your clients from your current CRM or CMS system? Make use of our REST API! For more details, go to our Web Push API documentation.
Push Notification Best Practices
- Personalize push notifications
- Segment push campaigns
- Include a large image and custom icon
- Preview notifications before sending them
- Combine push, SMS, and email marketing
To make push notifications increase customer loyalty, raise brand awareness, and rocket sales, check out some useful tips below.
- Personalize push notifications. This is not a new method of increasing performance, but it still holds. If the users see their name in your message, it has more chances to get clicked, since people are fed up with mass notifications.
- Segment push campaigns. Stay away from sending the same content to the whole mailing list. That won’t do! User engagement depends on whether you’ve managed to make relevant offers at the right time. Besides, make sure your notification language correlates with your client’s one.
- Include a large image and custom icon. This way, your notifications will attract users’ attention at once. A custom icon will help you build brand awareness.
- Preview notifications before sending them. Do this to make sure that your customers will receive what you want. This step helps eliminate typos, irrelevant links, and find out how your message will look. This option is available with SendPulse.
- Combine push, SMS, and email marketing. The combination of the marketing channels mentioned above will allow you to carry out an individual approach to each customer and choose the most appropriate channel when necessary. For example, send an email campaign to inform about the upcoming sale, push notification — to remind on the “X” day, and SMS — to notify about the order status. With SendPulse, you can combine these marketing channels for better outreach.
Find out how to create relevant web push notifications on our blog.
Examples of Push Notifications
Personalize and segment notifications according to users’ behavior on your website. They appreciate your care!
Check out another example of a segmented web push notification sent via SendPulse. We will help you build relationships with your clients.
This delicious web push notification won't give subscribers a chance to ignore it.
I hope our tips will prove to be useful. Get inspired and leave the technical side of things on our service.
- The article "The Complete Guide to Website Push Notifications for E-commerce" on Neil Patel blog explains why this channel is worth trying, considers the way they work, and provides some tips.
- The article "7 Things to Know Before Starting With Website Push Notifications" on the VWO blog suggests seven steps to follow if you start web push marketing.
💙 Can I send web push notifications with SendPulse?
Sending push notifications is quite simple — register with SendPulse, provide a relevant message, add a button with a CTA, an eye-catching image — and you are ready to go. Find more details here.
💭 Why should I send web push notifications?
Using web push notifications is a perfect way to communicate with your audience, keep subscribers up-to-date by sharing news, posts, announcements, etc. after they’ve opted in. Read more about the benefits of push notifications here.
📣 How do I collect subscribers for web push notifications?
Register with SendPulse and start collecting subscribers by simply adding the js code that we generate to your website by following this guide. In a pop-up request form, website visitors will allow your brand to send messages.
💳 How much do web push notifications cost?
Register with SendPulse and send unlimited web push notifications to up to 10,000 subscribers. If you work with a larger audience, visit our pricing page, and choose the right paid plan depending on the number of your subscribers.
Last Updated: 10.05.2023
Sign up withSign in with Facebook Sign in with Google