Transactional SMS is a non-marketing automated text message which companies send to support their audience along the customer journey. Among the most common transactional SMS types are order confirmations, welcome text messages, and shipping updates.
Benefits of transactional SMS
- People read it fast. According to VentureBeat, more than 90 percent of people read a text message within the first three minutes. Besides, their open rate reaches 98%, according to Gartner, which is dramatically huge compared to email marketing.
- It is a convenient medium. On average, people spend about 3,5 hours a day on their smartphones, as ResqueTime claims. Chances are that you will reach your audience.
- It helps people. Transactional SMS assists people in various communication touchpoints with your brand. Using SMS in place, you will build a solid brand image.
Transactional SMS vs. promotional SMS
Unlike promotional SMS which companies utilize for marketing purposes, transactional text messages provide customers with helpful information.
Besides, promotional SMS is an instantly sent or scheduled SMS campaign, while transactional SMS needs to be set up only once and works automatically after that.
Types of transactional SMS
As a brand, you can utilize transactional SMS for various non-marketing purposes like the following:
- Allow checking debit and credit information on bank accounts;
- Help to get access to an account with one-time passwords;
- Reset passwords;
- Confirm orders to ensure everything is OK;
- Keep clients informed with shipping and delivery updates;
- Confirm or cancel ticket booking.
- Schedule appointments to speed up communication with multiple customers without personal contact.
How to send transactional SMS
You can send transactional SMS to your audience with SendPulse Automation360. For this purpose, create workflows. Learn how:
- Set up a trigger event. Go to Event Manager and add an event that will trigger the flow of messages.
- Make up a start of the flow. Read how to do it here.
- Add the “SMS” element. Connect an “SMS” element. Customize the text and sender ID. Mind that in some countries sender ID should be registered.
Transactional SMS examples
PizzaHut. This transactional SMS is sent to confirm the order.
Citibank. This message answers how much money is there on the bank account balance.
Facebook. The social media giant uses transactional SMS to enable users who have forgotten their password to log in their account.
USPS. The mailing service provides a report with all the necessary information regarding the shipping details.
Last Updated: 2019-11-12