A brand mark is a symbol, element, art design, or visual image that helps immediately recognize a certain company. It is essential for developing and maintaining a brand’s image.
Why is a brand mark important?
Brand identity isn’t just about some visual assets. It’s about conveying your company’s idea, the thing your brand stands for. Brand colors, fonts, and even logos are just tools that help you communicate your message and reach out to your target audience.
We live in a world where visual content plays a great role in our everyday life. According to Poll Everywhere, 65% of people are visual learners. So it’s hard to ignore the fact that we absorb the information we see in a better way.
Many factors influence the success of a specific brand. One of them is imagery, an extremely powerful asset. It’s worth noting that using images can help you convey your message and emotions quickly. Keeping this fact in mind, companies worldwide use brand marks to visually identify their brands.
Now you know why companies spend a lot of time and strength on creating a great brand mark. So it’s time to see the difference between a brand mark and a logo because these two concepts sometimes can be confusing.
Brand Mark vs Logo
A brand mark is a supportive element that helps customers identify a brand at once. When people see the brand mark it should remind them of the special characteristics of the company. It’s all about emotional connection, something that will draw prospects to the brand and make them engage with it. While a logo is a combination of forms and other elements, a brand mark is an image.
Let’s take SendPulse, for example. This marketing automation platform enables you to send automated email and SMS campaigns, create chatbots and web push notifications. Below you can see the difference between the SendPulse logo and brand mark.
A logo can be defined as a symbol made up of text and images used to identify a brand. It’s created permanently and sometimes can undergo small modifications. The logo shows what a brand does and values. It can be presented in the form of an abstract or figurative design or stylized brand name if this company has a high level of brand awareness.
It’s worth mentioning that a logo is an integral part of a brand identity. An easily recognizable logo is a valuable asset for any company. That’s why it’s usually trademarked for intellectual property protection.
Logos of Dunkin' Donuts, Samsung, Burger King, BMW can be recognized worldwide. They are created to visually identify the company and draw a person’s attention to the brand. We’ve prepared some tips to help you create an effective brand mark.
How to Create an Effective Brand Mark?
- Choose a brand mark that demonstrates you the best
- Make it easy to understand
- Create a brand mark that is easy to memorize
- Ensure that it conveys your identity
- Be consistent
- Think timeless
Creating an effective brand mark needs creativity, deliberate decisions, and attention to detail. Sometimes it can be difficult for marketing teams to improve a brand mark since the image should be meaningful, recognizable, and easy to understand.
Many brands struggle as it’s no easy task to develop a really good brand mark that people will recognize. Companies that seek to update or change their brand mark should follow several steps to do it correctly.
- Choose a brand mark that demonstrates you the best. Refining your entire company down into one image can be challenging. After all, if you use all the benefits of graphic design correctly, it can work wonders. The appropriate image can quickly change the way customers perceive your brand.
- Make it easy to understand. Customers who will encounter your brand come from different backgrounds and age groups. That’s why your brand mark should be easy to recognize and understand. Your clients shouldn’t struggle to figure out the message you were trying to communicate. Keep in mind that nowadays people are overwhelmed with the excessive amount of companies and their marketing efforts. So it’s crucial to convey your brand idea fast to get the customers’ attention and increase brand engagement.
- Create a brand mark that is easy to memorize. One of the goals of creating a powerful mark is to make customers remember your company and choose you over competitors’ alternatives. Developing a simple and suitable design ensures that your brand is conveyed clearly and effectively. As a result, customers will easily memorize your company.
- Ensure that it conveys your identity. Sometimes companies suppose that it’s better to depict the product they offer since they don’t have to spend time giving meaning to colors and shapes. Yet in the long run, it's advisable to select an image that conveys the brand's purpose and mission rather than an image that showcases your goods. You can’t exclude the fact that in the near future your priorities, as well as your main product, might change or you would like to expand to other types of products.
- Be consistent. Anything can inspire you to create a great brand mark starting from the brand name to depicting what the company does. Let’s take John Deere, for example. The brand name inspired its team to create a deer-shaped icon. When you decide on the brand mark, you should ensure that your team uses it consistently when communicating with leads and customers.
- Think timeless. As you know some things can go out of style quickly. The word “timeless” is used here not to tell about something old or stodgy, it’s rather about creating a brand mark that is classic and will never be old-fashioned. For this purpose, avoid using trendy fonts, or today’s influential design trends. Search for ways to create a brand mark that will be fresh even in 10 years.
Knowing these several steps enables you to create a brand mark that will stand out and attract customers. Now let’s proceed to some examples of brand marks that have succeeded.
3 Examples of Brand Marks
There are many examples of great brand marks and we’ve prepared the ones you would recognize.
Amazon is an American company that enables customers from all over the world to shop for different electronics, books, home decor, and more online. Moreover, it’s a great example of a company that has an interesting brand mark. Previously, a brand had a logo in a form of an icon which you can see below. However, Amazon decided to update its brand mark to evoke the emotions of clients. The mark was developed by keeping their customers and brand in mind.
This multinational company founded in 1964 is famous for manufacturing high-quality footwear, clothes, equipment, and more. To connect with the brand’s customers emotionally, the company designed a brand mark that is easy to recognize and associate with this manufacturer of sportswear known worldwide.
Kohler is an American company famous for manufacturing plumbing products, but it also produces furniture, cabinetry, tile, engines, and generators. It’s a great example of how some brands use intricate designs and stylistic features as a part of brand development. This company has long used abstract artwork to present “The Bold Look of Kohler”.
To reach more customers, your brand should communicate with them on an emotional level. That’s the main purpose of a brand mark. It makes your company more appealing. Anything can attract people to your brand starting from colors, images, and words to graphics. You just need to create a brand mark that describes you the best and makes people recognize your brand among others.
- This article defines the term and explains the difference between a brand mark and a logo.
- This article provides readers with a detailed explanation of brand marks with examples.
- In this article, you’ll find out the distinctive features of a brand mark and a logo.
Last Updated: 18.02.2021