Smarketing is a strategy in which sales and marketing departments cooperate and communicate to achieve a company's goals. It helps generate leads and increase revenues.
In this article, we’ll find out why smarketing is important and review the 6 steps necessary to implement this strategy.
Why is smarketing important?
Since all companies strive to increase their sales, they need to improve customer acquisition and retention. To do it, the marketing team communicates with the sales department since salespeople can indicate the stages of the sales funnel where the most leads stop performing any actions. Afterward, the marketing team can remove the gaps. With this information in mind, marketers can decide whether it’s better to generate leads by teaching how to use the company's service with demos, sending informative emails, writing guest posts, or providing educational content.
The cooperation between sales and marketing helps brands prosper and take the positions of industry leaders. With this strategy, on one hand, salespeople receive information necessary to make warm calls, they have insights about the behavior of their leads and other important facts. On the other hand, marketers understand their best prospects and places they come from.
This information enables the marketing team to figure out what leads are more likely to convert into customers and provide them with the best service and conditions to do this. So, marketing can relocate their effort and resources efficiently to increase ROI.
Now that you know the benefits and importance, let’s move to the steps that help implement the strategy.
6 Steps to Implementing Smarketing Strategy
- Define common goals
- Ensure communication between teams
- Share your experiences
- Arrange regular meetings
- Create an information-sharing agreement
- Utilize collaboration tools
We’ve prepared 6 steps that will enable you to leverage the strategy for your business. These steps are imperative if you want to get new leads and increase sales volume.
- Define common goals. To sync work between the sales and marketing departments, it’s essential to establish common objectives for your campaigns and other shared tasks. When the teams are working towards achieving certain goals, they easily unite for the common good. Since each team has its own strengths important for the company, marketers and sales managers should cooperate and utilize their skills and knowledge to achieve excellent results.
- Ensure communication between teams. Your company will be able to reach the goal only when your teams can effectively communicate, understand, and listen to each other. That’s why they should meet and discuss campaigns, objectives, and other tasks altogether.
- Share your experiences. Members of sales and marketing teams should pay attention to each other and show empathy. Both the work of sales managers and marketers have high pressure. So, try to support each other and share your successes and failures in achieving the company's goals. The best way to find the solution for an urgent problem is by using the power of cooperation.
- Arrange regular meetings. Since communication is very important, your sales and marketing teams should meet at least once per week. Use this time to share experiences, successes, and challenges, analyze recent campaigns, and discuss new ideas. Choose representatives from each team to attend the meetings and report about the current situation.
- Create an information-sharing agreement. Ensure that the teams you work with have access to the necessary data. The information is crucial for understanding metrics, leads, the performance of marketing campaigns, etc. Yet, having access to data isn’t enough. To make use of its power, you should develop a clear and effective strategy to use data correctly and make the right business decisions. Besides, consider using a CRM to automate the process and allow team members to manage the sales funnel and monitor the company’s metrics. SendPulse’s CRM allows you to effectively manage the sales process and communicate with customers.
- Utilize collaboration tools. To ensure effective collaboration between sales and marketing teams, make use of special tools for communication, sharing documents, assigning tasks, and tracking their progress. It’s especially useful if some of your team members work remotely. Firstly, create a shared team email account to store all information in one place and give teams access. Secondly, leverage video conferencing platforms like Slack, Microsoft Teams, or Zoom to communicate with your teams online. Thirdly, make use of Google Docs. It enables real-time collaboration and is time-saving. Also, think of project management tools like actiTIME, Trello, Wrike, ClickUp, or others to ensure seamless communication and delegating tasks.
To conclude, it’s very wise to leverage smarketing into your business. It increases revenue, improves customer experience, and relationships in your company. So, pay attention to the steps above to implement this smart technique.
- This article defines the term and provides readers with steps to implement the strategy.
- In this article, people can find interesting facts about smarketing.
Last Updated: 07.07.2021