Advertising clutter is the excessive amount of advertising messages customers receive every day. It contributes to advertising avoidance and creates a negative predisposition toward advertising.
Why is advertising clutter a problem?
Brands use a variety of marketing efforts to achieve their business goals: generate sales, get the highest profit, and customer recognition. However, over-advertising can negatively affect customers bombarded with promotional emails, SMS, pre-paid ads, and TV commercials.
It’s worth mentioning that the level of advertising clutter across different marketing channels is always high and is now considered a severe problem for customers, which can then affect your business. It can result in reduced ad viewing, customers’ inability to identify your brand, increased avoidance, impaired advertising memories, negative emotional responses to advertising, and banner blindness.
Why is advertising clutter undesirable?
Since advertising space is in great demand as it allows businesses to benefit, companies are trying to promote themselves in various ways. Eventually, the level of ads goes off scale, annoys customers, and becomes clutter. This process is undesirable for consumers, advertisers, and media providers for several reasons:
- customers will neither remember your brand nor what you offer due to their limited attention span;
- it produces a negative impact on consumer attitudes;
- customers get overwhelmed with tons of intrusive ads;
- people who receive too many irrelevant marketing messages prefer to opt out;
- it creates a negative predisposition toward advertising.
It’s essential to know the reasons why you should avoid advertising clutter. However, if you are facing this problem right now, we have six tips to help you to overcome it.
How to Break Through Advertising Clutter
- Implement viral marketing
- Retain customers
- Consider ambient marketing
- Partner with influencers
- Ensure mobile-first design
- Consider search engine marketing
Many small companies use a variety of ways to avoid excess advertising in the market. The most important thing is to find unique and effective ways of product promotion that will not overwhelm and upset your customers. Several tips will help you break through the advertising clutter.
- Implement viral marketing. The strategy aims at spreading information about a product from person to person by word of mouth or by sharing it on social media platforms. Viral marketing aims to inspire customers to share marketing messages with their families, colleagues, and friends, improve brand awareness, and increase brand engagement.
- Retain customers. Allow your customers to set their preferences, provide them with useful content, and update the offering in your re-engagement emails. To achieve great results in your business, you need to segment your audience by age, income, traits, beliefs, or interests and create customized emails. With SendPulse, you can segment your mailing list based on gender, location, products purchased, etc.
- Consider ambient marketing. You’ve probably noticed ads like tunnels, bus stops, or buildings in various locations. By using ambient marketing, you can easily grab the attention of passers-by, who can be your prospective customers.
- Partner with influencers. Since social media platforms are an integral part of our everyday lives, influencer marketing is extremely popular. Social media users have a lot of trust in the recommendations of their favorite influencers on Instagram, YouTube, or Facebook. According to the research, 49% of users rely on the recommendations of influencers, and about 40% have purchased something online after seeing it in an influencer’s post, story, or video.
- Ensure mobile-first design. Half of all users access the Internet from their smartphones. That’s why it’s crucial to have a mobile-friendly website or an app to provide visitors with a smooth user experience.
- Consider search engine marketing (SEM). Do your best to increase the visibility of your website. SEM helps you grab the attention of leads and customers, reach them instantly, target the right audience through optimized ads, and increase traffic.
And now that you know how to break through advertising clutter, let’s proceed to the examples.
Examples of Advertising Clutter
You can find this phenomenon anywhere, from television to radio to the Internet. Let’s consider several examples to understand advertising clutter fully.
The Internet is a huge platform for product promotion from various businesses. You can see display ads, web push, social media ads, and more all over the web. Since the Internet is overwhelmed with ads, users are desensitized to ad messages.
Although you might think that TV advertising is no longer popular, it’s considered the most trusted form of advertising. However, a large number of commercials on television always interrupt the shows and films people are watching, which is very annoying. It makes many people avoid those ads.
To sum it up, avoiding advertising clutter is imperative to continue benefiting from marketing. The tips above will help you overcome this problem if you’re currently facing it.
- The article covers the forms of advertising clutter.
- The article provides several steps to break through the advertising clutter.
- In this article, a reader can find the definition of advertising clutter and get to know how to break through this process.
Last Updated: 21.03.2023
Sign up withSign in with Facebook Sign in with Google