Bulk email software is a type of software used to send large quantities of email to a list of recipients. In most cases, it is provided by vendors to interested parties at a fixed monthly rate or pay-per-send, but it may also be self-hosted.
Why is bulk email software important
If marketers were to create and send emails to each prospect on their contact list at a time, they would probably not have time to do anything else. Sending thousands of marketing messages to prospective customers every couple of days is a tiresome and repetitive task.
With bulk email software, one can:
- Create marketing emails faster
- Reach hundreds or thousands of recipients with one email
- Reduce the cost of sending mass emails
- Increase traffic to a website
The fall of bulk email software
Bulk email software is not a new concept for online businesses and marketers; it has been around for a while. However, it is steadily being replaced by email services. The majority of email marketers prefer these services as opposed to the software because the former offers a more holistic approach to internet marketing. With a reliable email service, one can:
- Automate repetitive marketing tasks
- Create personalized email campaigns
- Send bulk emails to multiple mailing lists
- Boost brand awareness and reputation
- Attract and nurture quality leads
- Monitor marketing campaigns statistics on the go
Bulk email software vs bulk email online service
Bulk email service works as a standalone system that allows one to add addresses and send email campaigns. Marketers, who widely use bulk email as a method of increasing brand or product awareness, may leverage email marketing service to save both time and costs, and get more ROI with the help of professional instruments.
For an email marketer, online business owner or internet marketer, it is easy to get confused whether email software or email service is the best choice. So, here is a comprehensive comparison of the two.
|Features||Bulk Email Software||Bulk Email Service|
|Price||Costs roughly between $30-$100 depending on the vendor. However, that is not the only cost. The software requires regular updates that come at a fee. The prices are mostly fixed and non-negotiable.||Price is based on the size of the mailing list. Users can, therefore, choose a package that suits their needs and budget best. And, one can send bulk emails for free if their list is not that big.|
|Reputation||Has zero reputation and offers no guarantee that emails sent will be seen or opened. Remember, sender reputation is everything in email marketing as it shows how recipients and mailbox providers see a particular IP address. A negative IP reputation can hurt a brand in more ways than one.||They manage their IP and server reputation and offer customers credibility. Therefore, a brand’s marketing email has better chances of being opened and read by subscribers when using an online service.|
|Upgrades||Updates are available, but users must incur additional costs to get them.||Has regular updates but customers do not get overcharged to obtain them. Plus, most upgrades are conducted automatically.|
|Lead Segmentation||The option of segmenting subscribers is not available. Consequently, users must manage their mailing lists manually.||Mailing list segmentation is a common feature in most services. With the SendPulse email service, for example, it is possible to segment lists based on different criteria such as age, gender, occupation, location, activities and so forth.|
|Landing Pages and Subscription forms||Does not give users the option of creating landing pages or subscription forms. Therefore, users must look for additional software to perform these functions.||Subscription forms is a key element of an email service. With the help of ready-made templates and a drag-and-drop email editor, users can create customized subscription forms easily. Some services also help users create landing pages for their websites.|
|Cleaning Up the Mailing List||Users must manage their contact list themselves. Therefore, if a subscriber opts out, one must remove their address from the mailing list manually.||The mailing list is constantly kept up to date. When a lead unsubscribes from receiving marketing emails, their address is automatically removed from the list.|
|Email Design||Email templates are often limited which means that there is less variety to choose from. Furthermore, they can only be edited using HTML. Thus, it is difficult to modify them to one’s preference without technical knowledge of how HTML works.||There is no HTML or any coding knowledge needed. Email services offer several ready-made email templates that can be edited. The user sets the parameters, and the service generates the code. Plus, one can add videos, images, buttons and so forth.|
|Ease of Use||Very technical to set up. The provider might not allow for bulk email sending through an internal server. In this case, one has to find an external SMTP server.||Online services are easy to use, and anyone can start creating an email campaign immediately after signing up.|
|Statistics and Follow Up||Does not allow for evaluation of the results of an email campaign. Instead, one has to install additional programs to monitor bulk email marketing performance.||Statistics on how recipients respond to the campaign are collected and stored automatically. And with a credible email service like SendPulse, a company can monitor the delivery rate, opens, click-through rates (CTR), unopened emails, emails marked as spam and so on.|
|Technical Support||For any problems, issues or concerns, one has to contact the system administrator, and it can take some time to get help.||Usually, offer 24-hour customer support 7 days a week. Plus, most services provide multiple communication channels including phone, email and live chat. It is, therefore, easy to get solutions fast and conveniently.|
How to choose a reliable bulk email service
After deciding on an email service for bulk email marketing, one must then choose which service works best for their brand. Here are some features to check for when picking an email service.
- Price. How much does an online email service charge to send a specific number of messages to the number of subscribers on a mailing list? Bulk email services bill email campaigns based on the number of recipients or messages. Check the pricing plans to see which one to pick. With SendPulse, one can send up to 15,000 emails to 2,500 addresses for free. All one has to do is register.
- Domain reputation. Domain reputation is a top consideration when assessing deliverability. By tracking domain use and performance in messages, recipients can assign a score and use it to filter spam. The same applies to an email service. Consider working with a highly reputable service in building a marketing strategy.
- Mailing list management. An online email service should assist one to manage mailing lists. Use SendPulse to add addresses to existing mailing lists, remove invalid and inactive contacts, and collect data to help personalize messages.
- Ready-made email templates. Choose a service that provides a variety of marketing email templates. Ready-made templates with the option of editing are convenient and easy to modify. SendPulse has more than 130 free ready-made templates ideal for any activity or event.
- Email marketing automation. It refers to setting up automatic email marketing campaigns that are triggered by customers’ actions. An online marketing service should be able to set up marketing automation following the user’s specifications. With the Automation 360 in SendPulse, one can set up welcome emails, abandoned cart emails, confirmation emails, thank you emails after purchases and other kinds of triggered messages.
- Segmentation. Segmenting subscribers depending on their stage in the sales funnel, gender, age or any other relevant criteria is vital in creating personalized marketing messages. An online email service should be able to do this.
- A/B testing. Also known as split testing, it is the comparison of two versions of a website or landing page to gauge which one performs better. It is performed by showing the two versions to similar visitors. This test is essential in assessing any marketing strategy.
How to send bulk email for free using SendPulse
SendPulse provides an easy but effective way of sending bulk emails. Anyone can enjoy these services without charge by registering and selecting the free pricing plan.
Follow these quick steps to send up to 15,000 marketing emails for free with SendPulse.
- Register. Enter your name, email, phone, and password of choice to create an account.
- Create a new campaign. Click “create a campaign” in your account and select or create a mailing list. Fill in all the fields.
- Select an email template. Choose an email template from more than 100 free beautiful options provided. Alternatively, create your own template with the HTML editor. Then, create the body of the email.
- Confirm and send the campaign. Preview the email to see how the recipients will view it, confirm the details and send it.
Last Updated: 2019-05-02