The 554 5.7.1 SMTP error
Email errors troubling you? Certainly, you have an important information that is to be delivered to your subscribers, but you receive “554 5.7.1” SMTP error message, perhaps not even for the first time.
So, let’s take a closer look at the reasons of this error and the way out.
While sending an email, you should take into account 2 mailing servers: yours one and the recipient’s.
As you can see, your email can be rejected either by your mail server, as a sender’s, or your recipient’s server.
Reasons of a 554 5.7.1 SMTP error:
- Your IP as a sender’s can be somewhere blacklisted by spam filters due to spam-like content. You can use special resources to find out whether you’re in a blacklist or not;
- You can be in a personal blacklist of a recipient, as a source of spam, because of different reasons and it’s really difficult to get to know them;
- Before sending an email, you haven’t properly authenticated your mail server for the recipient’s mail server to know that you are a reliable source, but not a spammer.
- You may have failed security checks. Perhaps, a recipient has his own anti-spam policy and you haven’t managed to follow it.
How to avoid a 554 5.7.1 SMTP error:
- Make sure that “From” and “Recipient addresses are correct”;
- Install special software to check for spam and be sure that there are no viruses;
- Check the server authentication configurations, especially in case it was updated. Probably you’ll have to change settings manually;
- Follow the anti-spam policy of your mail server;
- Recipients can have their own anti-spam rules and you may discuss with them one of them to be disabled;
- If you send large amount of emails, use a third party — SMTP service, since it will make you free from the restrictions on the number of emails sent and increase the delivery speed.
To be sure that you’re not blacklisted, use these tools:
In case you were mistakenly added to a blacklist, you can be removed with the help of the removal form.
The most common 554 5.7.1 messages
- 554 5.7.1 : Client host rejected: Access denied
- 554 5.7.1 : Service unavailable; Client host X.X.X.X blocked using zen.spamhaus.org
- 554 5.7.1 : Relay access denied
- 554 5.7.1 : Recipient address rejected: Access denied
- 554 5.7.1 : Message cannot be accepted, rules rejection
- 554 5.7.1 : Message refused by Dictionary check
- 554 5.7.1 : Relay Access Denied for One Domain
- 554 5.7.1 : Message cannot be accepted, spam rejection
- 554 5.7.1 : Message refused by DNSBL check
- 554 5.7.1 : Sender address rejected: Access denied
Other useful articles
- How to send bulk emails without spamming?
- How to enable and disable web push notifications in Mozilla Firefox?
- Automatic resend to unreads
- User Access Levels
- How to send bulk emails free?
Popular in Our Blog
- 8 best ways for opt-in form optimization
- A/B test for emails – 30 ideas for testing. Part 2
- Preparing for an Email Marketing Campaign
- The basics of behavioral psychology to improve content marketing
- Create Subscription Forms Like Big Online-Stores, easily and with no Coding