Digital marketing is a constantly-evolving industry with new trends and opportunities coming your way all the time. So, if you want to keep up to date, you should continue learning from the industry leaders, other companies, and case studies.
Along with our lists of Google Chrome extensions for business and marketing and digital marketing books, we’ve gathered 20 useful digital marketing podcasts on different topics starting from content marketing and ending with SMM.
The definition and the purpose of podcasting
Podcasts are becoming more and more popular. According to Edison Research, in 2019, 70% of the US population is familiar with the term “podcasting” compared to 64% in 2018, and 60% in 2017 respectively. Today, there are more than 500,000 different podcasts on the Apple Podcasts app with business being one of the most widespread topics.
So let’s clarify, what is a podcast? The word “podcast” is a blended word formed from the combination of “broadcast” and “iPod,” which lets you intuitively figure out the origins of this tool. Podcasting is an alternative to radio shows and a type of online audio broadcasting that allows users to reach people anywhere on the planet and deliver their message through the internet. Podcasts have brought a new type of content sharing that allows you to create your own radio show even from home. A podcast can have different forms: a talk show, an interview, or an audio performance from a single speaker.
Why do podcasts work so well for marketing?
Podcasts are not only another tool to entertain users but also an effective way to raise brand awareness, earn profits through advertisements, and connect with other companies and people.
According to recent research by Nielsen Holdings, 69% of podcast listeners aged 18-49 agree that podcast ads have made them aware of new products and services.
Various industries notice a lift in purchase intent after advertising through podcasts:
- 14% lift for ads in business podcasts;
- 12.8% lift for ads in news and politics podcasts;
- 9.3% lift for ads in sports podcasts;
- 9.2% lift for ads in society and culture podcasts;
- 7.3% lift for ads in comedy podcasts.
No wonder that US podcast advertising revenue is expected to grow by more than 110% in 2020, up to $659.0 million.
For marketers, it’s easy to track their progress, plan their podcast activities, and see what brings more engagement. For example, iTunes Connect allows you to track the number of individual devices, total time and time per device listened, and to see what countries your audience is coming from all on the Apple Podcasts app.
In Trends, you can see your progress and understand which days were the most successful for your podcast.
To check similar statistics on Google Podcasts, you can go to Google Play Music Podcast Portal.
The list of the best digital marketing podcasts
Let’s have a look at 20 useful and trendy podcasts on all things marketing. We divided them into five categories:
- digital marketing podcasts;
- content marketing podcasts;
- email marketing podcasts;
- SEO podcasts;
- SMM podcasts.
Go through the list and choose which shows will be useful to you. All of these podcasts are available on any device, whether its operating system is iOS, Android, or Microsoft.
Digital marketing podcasts
- Online Marketing Made Easy by Amy Porterfield features interviews and behind-the-scenes stories on how to build your own business. Amy says “I discovered that building my own dream business was NOT at odds with helping others achieve theirs.” So she is eager to help entrepreneurs out in solving their day-to-day business problems and achieving goals. Amy has been featured in Business Insider, Forbes, Mashable, Entrepreneur, and many others.
- The GaryVee Audio Experience by Gary Vaynerchuk is a TOP-100 global podcast. GaryVee, who is the chairman of VaynerX and the CEO of VaynerMedia, shares his advice on everything about marketing and business. One of his most popular podcasts include topics like “The Difference Between A Winning And Losing Mindset,” “Tips And Strategies For Small Businesses,” “7 Reasons Why I Give Away My Content For Free & Why You Should Too,” and many more.
- The Marketing Over Coffee podcast creates a comfortable and positive atmosphere about topics that bother entrepreneurs every day. John J. Wall, Vice President of Marketing at EventHero, and Christopher S. Penn, co-founder of the PodCamp New Media Community unConference, professor of Internet marketing at the University of San Francisco, and the lead subject matter expert and professor of Advanced Social Media at the University of San Francisco, are the hosts of the show. They have interviews on leadership, digital marketing, social media, and other business topics and have advice-rich conversations with experts from all over the world.
- The 5 Minute Marketing podcast by Brian Moran features episodes which are literally five minutes long but are packed with useful information and resources for your business’s growth and success. Spend five minutes a day on learning and the rest of the day implementing these useful tips.
Content marketing podcasts
- Copyblogger FM hosted by Sonia Simone, co-founder and Chief Content Officer of Copyblogger, shares tons of valuable tips for content marketers, explains current trends, talks about best practices and go-to strategies to reach your best results in content marketing. She also allows listeners to take a peek at the Copyblogger blog behind-the-scenes and learn from real projects.
- Content Inc. by Joe Pulizzi is a podcast that contains 200 unique episodes about content and its influence on business. You can listen to each them one by one and learn everything you need to know about content marketing. Episodes like “Minimum Viable Audience,” “Check Your Mission Statement,” “Starbucks Doubles Down on Purpose Driven Content,” “Brexit and the Value of Print,” and many others bring a lot of helpful advice which you can put into practice right away.
- Longform by Patrick Radden Keefe, a New Yorker writer, every week features a new non-fiction writer in an engaging conversation full of insights and inspiration. It would be helpful and motivating for copywriters and content marketers. At the moment, there are 373 episodes available.
- Content Jam podcast starts with a provoking statement: “Your website is the mousetrap, your content is the cheese.” The podcast hosts Andy Crestodina and Barry Feldman talk about SEO, blogging, storytelling, content marketing, copywriting, and editing.
Email marketing podcasts
- The McMethod Email Marketing Podcast is considered to be the best email marketing podcast out there. Right now, it has more than 200 episodes, interviews, and talk shows about earning profits, selling products, and increasing brand awareness with an email. The host of the show is the email copywriting pro John McIntyre.
- The Everything Em@il is a monthly podcast hosted by Kerel Cooper, Senior Vice President of the Customer Journey Group at LiveIntent. She shares best practices and busts myths, explains email marketing basics, and delves into complicated processes of automation and personalization. Some of the episodes cover topics like “The State of Programmatic and Identity with Erik Requidan, Intermarkets,” “The Subscriber Lifecycle & Email Virality,” or “Email Marketing Strategy for Online Retailers.”
- The Email Design Podcast is dedicated to, you guessed it right, email design. In 20-30 minutes podcasts, you will learn how to build emails with or without HTML, what trends to follow, and how giant corporations design their emails.
- Ask Me About Email Marketing podcast by AWeber allows every user to ask questions and get answers from email marketing experts during the podcast episodes. Right now, there are 75 episodes available, and new ones are launched every week.
- Search Engine Nerds by Search Engine Journal is a bi-weekly podcast which features interviews and conversations with industry experts about all things SEO. Useful tips, latest trends, practical recommendations will come in handy for both your business and personal projects.
- SEO 101 is a helpful show for beginners who are on the lookout for more useful tips and tricks. If you are only starting your way into SEO, this is the perfect opportunity to get a free basic course with no extra technical details needed.
- SEO Podcast Unknown Secrets of Internet Marketing is the most popular SEO podcast on iTunes. The podcast hosts Matt Bertram and Chris Burres will tell you how to get to the first page of Google, Yahoo or Bing and how to get sales from your website traffic. They publish new episodes 3-4 times a month, so you will have enough time to carefully listen, digest, and implement their advice.
- MozPod is a fun podcast on all things SEO and marketing that has been hosted for almost a year and is still available and relevant for beginner and intermediate level SEO marketers. It has more than 40 episodes where Brian Childs interviews SEO experts and asks them burning questions every marketer faces: How does a voice search influence search engine optimization? How should you write for search engines and people? What is mobile first and why does it matter? You’ll find answers to all these and many other questions on MozPod podcast.
Social media podcasts
- Casual Fridays Podcast is all about social media and growing your business with SMM. Tyler Anderson, the host of the show, holds weekly conversations with marketing experts on topics like micro-influencer marketing, word-of-mouth strategy, millennials, video marketing, and others. Get your weekly dose of SMM insights and try them out in your business.
- Social Media Marketing Podcast hosted by the Social Media Examiner CEO and founder Michael Stelzner is a weekly show that shares “weekly discoveries” on helpful apps, tools, and websites which you can use in your practice as well as valuable strategy and platform-specific advice. Each episode, is an interview with a social media marketing expert, and deals with various topics and platforms.
- Reply All podcast, or “a podcast about the Internet,” hosted by PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman is downloaded around 5 million times per month. The podcast hosts and their guests talk about the internet and social media trends, viral content, online culture, influencers, and so on. The great thing about this marketing podcast is that it has an analytical foundation and explains how to understand the purpose and the outcomes of everything you see online.
- Social Pros Podcast is hosted by “real people doing real work in social media” or, to be specific, Jay Baer from Convince & Convert and Adam Brown from Salesforce. Learn how companies like Ford, Dell, IBM, ESPN, and others achieve success on social media, find out what lays behind viral posts and trends, and discover how to reach success in your own social media projects.
Putting theory into practice
We hope that these 20 marketing podcasts will teach you new things and motivate you to achieve new heights in business. When you are ready to implement your ideas, SendPulse will be ready to bring your strategy to life through different marketing channels — email, web push, SMS, and Facebook Messenger.